|Title:||Autonomic and Federated Management of Multimedia Services|
|Affiliation:||IBCN - Ghent University, iMinds|
|Supervisor:||prof. dr. ir. Filip De Turck|
Jeroen Famaey obtained a masters degree in computer science from Ghent University, Belgium, in June 2007. He received his Ph.D. degree from the same university in June 2012. Since then he has been working as a post-doctoral researcher in the area of network and service management, affiliated with Ghent University and iMinds. His main research interests include autonomic and federated network management, multimedia service delivery, and network virtualization.
PhD project description
Over the years, the Internet has significantly evolved in size and complexity. Additionally, the modern multimedia services it offers have considerably more stringent Quality of Service (QoS) requirements than traditional static services. These factors contribute to the ever-increasing complexity and cost to manage the Internet and its services. In this dissertation, a novel network management architecture is proposed to overcome this problem. It supports QoS-guarantees of multimedia services across the Internet, by setting up end-to-end network federations. A network federation is defined as a persistent cross-organizational agreement that enables the cooperating networks to share capabilities. Additionally, the architecture incorporates aspects from autonomic network management to tackle the ever-growing management complexity of modern communications networks. Specifically, a hierarchical approach is presented, which guarantees scalable collaboration of huge amounts of self-governing autonomic management components.
You can download my PhD book here.
- Jeroen Famaey, Steven Latre, Tim Wauters, Filip De Turck. End-to-End Resource Management for Federated Delivery of Multimedia Services. Accepted for Journal of Network and Systems Management, 2013.
- Steven Latre, Jeroen Famaey, Filip De Turck. A Semantic Context Exchange Process for the Federated Management of the Future Internet. Accepted for International Journal of Network Management, 2013.
- Steven Latre, Jeroen Famaey, John Strassner, Filip De Turck. Automated Context Dissemination for Autonomic Collaborative Networks through Semantic Subscription Filter Generation. Journal of Network and Computer Applications, Special issue on Collaborative Technologies and Applications, In Press, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.jnca.2013.01.011.
- Jeroen Famaey, Filip De Turck. Federated Management of the Future Internet: Status and Challenges. International Journal of Network Management, 2012, 22(6):508-528, doi:10.1002/nem.1813
- Maxim Claeys, Steven Latre, Jeroen Famaey, Tingyao Wu, Werner Van Leekwijck, Filip De Turck. Design of a Q-Learning based client quality selection algorithm for HTTP Adaptive Video Streaming. In proceedings of the Adaptive and Learning Agents Workshop (ALA), Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA, 2013.
- Niels Bouten, Steven Latre, Jeroen Famaey, Filip De Turck, Werner Van Leekwijck. Minimizing the Impact of Delay on Live SVC-based HTTP Adaptive Streaming Services. In proceedings of the 6th IFIP/IEEE International Workshop on Distributed Autonomous Network Management Systems (DANMS), Ghent, Belgium, 2013.