|Affiliation:||Jacobs University Bremen, CNDS group|
|Supervisor:||Prof. Dr. Jürgen Schönwälder|
|Start:||1 September 2010|
Nikolay is a PhD student at the Computer Networks and Distributed Systems (CNDS) group, Jacobs University Bremen. He received his Bachelor degree in "Electrical Engineering and Computer Science" in 2008, and a M.Sc. degree in "Communications, Systems and Electronics" in 2010. His current research focuses on understanding the behavioral patterns of the Internet users and the ways of differentiating Internet users with as little privacy intrusion as possible.
PhD project description
In his PhD project Nikolay tries to differentiate hosts based on their Internet traffic patterns. To achieve this objective he applied a number of methods for differentiation and clustering of users. To date different types of unsupervised and supervised clustering algorithms were applied on sets of hosts. This allowed to separate hosts into similar clusters, however did not provide an individual level of host differentiation. In order to augment the technique, he made use of other statistical techniques trying to isolate as many independent and host-descriptive features as possible. It is the combination of these features that allowed him to achieve the success rates of differentiating a single host in a group of hundreds of hosts. At this stage of his research he tries to find the optimal combination of host-related features in order to carry out the differentiation approach with as few false positive results as possible. All of the investigated traffic traces have NetFlow format, which minimizes the possibility of revealing any private information about the investigated hosts.
You can find a complete list of publications as indexed by Gogle Scholar
1. V. Bashko, N. Melnikov, A. Sehgal, J. Schönwälder: BonaFide: A Traffic Shaping Detection Tool for Mobile Networks. 13th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management (IM 2013), May 2013
2. M. Tauber, S.N. Bhatti, N. Melnikov, J. Schönwälder: The Case for Heterogeneous WLAN Environments for Converged Networks. International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC 2013), January 2013
3. V. Bajpai, V. Bashko, C. David, S. Kuryla, V. Perelman, J. Schauer, N. Melnikov, A. Sehgal, J. Schönwälder: Design and Prototype Implementation of the WattsApp Telemetry Platform. IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things (iThings 2012), November 2012
4. V. Bajpai, N. Melnikov, A. Sehgal, J. Schönwälder: Flow-based Identification of Failures Caused by IPv6 Transition Mechanisms. 6th Conference on Autonomous Infrastructure, Management and Security (AIMS 2012), Springer LNCS 7279, June 2012
5. V. Perelman, N. Melnikov, J. Schönwälder: Flow Signatures of Popular Applications. 12th IFIP/IEEE International Symposium on Integrated Network Management, Dublin, May 2011.
6. N. Melnikov, J. Schönwälder: Cybermetrics: User Identification Through Network Flow Analysis. 4th Conference on Autonomous Infrastructure, Management and Security (AIMS 2010), Springer LNCS 6155, June 2010.
7. K. Kanev, N. Melnikov, J. Schönwälder: Implementation of a Stream-based IP Flow Record Query Language. 4th Conference on Autonomous Infrastructure, Management and Security (AIMS 2010), Springer LNCS 6155, June 2010.